Spanish users: translate here!

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Lauren




















Lauren Shelburne
Hi everybody!
Today was our last day working at our ministry sites! It is really sad to be done serving at our sites, but I am excited for our excursion tomorrow. I have spent the week working in micro finance. We host meetings for woman in the community who want to learn new skills to start businesses to support themselves. We started the day by learning how to make hammocks from one of the ladies from the group and finishing a Frozen piƱata.  Then we traveled to one of the poorest areas of Nicaragua called Valle Del Volcan. It is a piece of land next to the dump that the government gave to the poor so they have a place to live. It is crazy to see the conditions that these people live in, yet how happy they remain. 
We started the meeting by passing balloons around like “hot potato” and answering the questions that were on them when the music stopped. Megan led a devotion that was then translated for the ladies by our site leader. Next, we led the ladies in an Easter craft.  We helped them fill their Easter egg with different items that signified different aspects of the resurrection. All day we were able to play with kids and hold babies. One little boy who I got to hang out with the day before when I was taking pictures withe the medical site and boys club, followed me around all day. All he wanted was another balloon even though we had given him around 20 the day before. It is really windy here and there is barb wire everywhere which caused the demise of many balloons. There was a little baby named Javier who we all took turns holding. Unfortunately, I was the last to hold him, and the girl he choose to pee on haha. Luckily we are able to wash our clothes here!
I’ve loved being able to take photos of the people of Nicaragua and it is making me think about becoming a professional photographer, traveling around the world and photographing different cultures. The base has been amazing the kitchen staff go out of their way for every meal to make sure that there is food for me that doesn’t contain stuff I’m allergic to. Leading worship with Jackie, Ginsyn, and Taylor has also been fun :) I love and miss all of you! Only two more days till we are home!

Love, 
Lauren :)

P.S. I accidentally started typing in Spanish! I have gotten to use my Spanish a lot and have learned many more words. People are using me as their translator and I love being able to communicate with the kids!

1 comment:

  1. We have loved the photos and hearing about your experiences. Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete